The inaugural ICEC Young Investigators’ Conference, held February 14-15, 2019 at the National Academy of Sciences and Medicine, brought together young cancer care professionals and global oncology leaders from diverse regions to discuss the unique opportunities and challenges that they encounter at their home institutions and practices as well as their efforts abroad. The conference highlighted efforts related to mentorship, education, training, and global oncology career building while guiding systematic, incremental improvements in cancer care delivery programs in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs). The conference sessions and presentations are available on the ICEC website including an inspiring keynote address, “Confronting the Global Health Disparity of Cervical Cancer” delivered by Dr. Douglas R. Lowy, Deputy Director of the National Cancer Institute.
The sessions covered a range of topics, including:
- Why global oncology matters?
- Why is Global Oncology Important?
- Local-Global Oncology – Addressing the needs of the underserved locally
- Global Oncology Policy Perspectives
- Building Ethical, Mutually Beneficial Global Oncology Partnerships: Models of academic global oncology career paths
- General Aspects of Relationships/Partnerships: The importance of building ethical partnerships including Basic Science, Clinical Research, and Capacity Building and Educational Partnerships.
The first day concluded with Selected Poster Presentations highlighting the efforts of researchers, early practitioners and medical trainees, and medical students. Day two focused on: Career Development in Global Oncology: Expectations, opportunities and solutions providing the perspectives of both Young Investigators as well as the perspective of Senior Mentors and Chairs/Directors. Interactive breakout sessions served as a catalyst for important discussions regarding the following issues:
- Choosing the Right Mentor and Being a Mentor
- Work-Life Balance
- Global Oncology and Academic Promotion
- Being an Effective Global Oncology Partner
All presentations and posters are available on the ICEC website.